................Charting the progress of my "500" in 2010, and "57" in 2011, one mile at a time.
Current Race Miles
Current Race Miles = 65.8
Monday, January 17, 2011
P.F.Chang's Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon
Brigette was signed up for the Half Marathon and Janice and I did the Half Marathon Relay. First runner did 8.4 miles then switched off with second runner at transition point to finish the 4.7 to finish line. Janice did the longer first part so she and Brigette left the house by 6 am to get downtown, catch the shuttle and make the 8:30 start time. I actually went to 7 am Mass, came back and dressed for the race and had Jim drop me off before 9 am. Racing partners' bib numbers had the same last 3 digits so when Janice was .3 miles out from our transition point they announced her number and I got in position to receive the baton from her. I'd had an hour or so to kill, pacing, listening to the bands, giving Toby directions who eventually joined me there and oh, yes, watching Brigette pass. It was awesome watching all the half-marathoners run by; every size, shape, outfit, and running style you can imagine. When I finally took off it was like all the races where I struggle to get my pace and feel like I'm not going to make it for at least the first mile. Much more crowded though and lots of walkers to dodge around. With less than 2 miles to go, the streets are lined with spectators and more music along the sidelines. It was hard to believe I was a part of the P. F Chang's that I'd always heard so much about. The finish line is near the Sun Devil Stadium so once that came into view it was exhilarating. All participants are handed a medal upon crossing the finish line and plenty of refreshments to replenish. I met up with Brigette and Janice in the family meeting area and we got our free beer. Toby and Luis and Killian were also there. This event is so well organized, we retrieved our gear and headed out to a big breakfast and then to drop Janice off at the airport. Brigette ran the entire half marathon at an 8:38 pace and Janice and I figured our relay to be a 12:30 pace. We will be back!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You didn't mention the free beer! Sounds like such a lively event. So proud of my Rock'n and Roll'n Momma!!
ReplyDelete